- What have the Pharisees been asking Jesus about? [ Luke 17:20 ]
- What will happen when Jesus returns? [ Luke 17:31-35 ]
- How did Jesus encourage his disciples to have faith? What practical steps could they take? [ Luke 18:1-8 ]
- Why did the children go to Jesus? [ Luke 18:16 ]
- What is wrong with the people that Jesus is addressing? [ Luke 18:9 ]
- What do they think that they do not need?
- What are they not afraid of? (Think about the context of the passage.)
- How does this affect their behaviour towards others?
- Who are the two men that Jesus uses in his illustration? [ Luke 18:10 ]
- What is significant about their professions?
- What might Jesus’ audience have expected would happen next?
- Who is the Pharisee focused on? [ Luke 18:11-12 ]
- What does he think is important?
- What does he think can be achieved through his works?
- Where is the tax collector far from? [ Luke 18:13 ]
- Why did he not look up towards heaven?
- Who is the tax collector focused on?
- What does he know he is? What does he fear? Why does he ask God for mercy?
- Why does God grant justification to the tax collector? [ Luke 18:14 ]
- What did the tax collector do before God?
- What are we before God?
- What will happen to those that justify themselves with their “good” works?
- What must we be focused on?
- How can we be saved?
- What is God willing to do for those that repent of their sins and ask for mercy?
- How will he treat those that he has justified?